marți, 27 noiembrie 2007

N95 V.20.0.015 firmware is out

The long awaited firmware update for the N95 has arrived. V20 brings a number of improvements, some more noticeable than others.



The first striking thing I noticed was the reduced start-up time. 24 seconds, compared to 35 on V12. After that I saw the Search application integrated in the active-standby screen. A nice time-saver, Nokia. Bravo!



Menus are the same (i.e. not N95 8GB or N81 style, which I am happy for) and now we have an N-Gage app and a Nokia Music Store app in the menu. Applications now start in like half the time, which brings us to the real treat: more free RAM. Yes, that's right. I got up to 30.7 MB which is more than enough for even the most extreme multitasking. It is rumored that the battery life has also been increased through optimization of the software, but I've yet to test this.
The camera now takes 1.5 maybe 2 seconds to start, which is a huge improvement. The flash seems a bit more powerful too, and the processing time is reduced, making it great for quick shot-to-next-shot activity. The battery indicator is shown, so you know how much juice you have left for photos and video.



Oh, and one more thing. We can kiss that ridiculous missing-key-press-bug goodbye. Key presses now generate timely and precise results.
I did however find a problem. This may be strictly my case, but when I connect my phone to PC in mass-storage mode, and more precisely when I select "Eject" from the memory card icon in My Computer, I get that "Cable can now be removed" popup for a split second, after which it vanishes. If I try to remove the cable after it vanishes, it says that "Data might have been lost...". Pretty annoying if you frequently use mass-storage mode.

Overall, this is a fantastic update. It's about 116MB, and the whole process took me 10-12 minutes so I definitely recommend that you upgrade.

Niciun comentariu: